A foreign traveler entering into Sri Lanka needs to obtain VISA for short stays in Sri Lanka, before entering the country. Short stays are defined as visits which are not longer than 30 days. VISA to Sri Lanka can now be obtained using the country’s Online Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) system.
It is always best to get VISA before arriving in the country to avoid delays. The best place to get advice and support if there are issues submitting to the ETA is at the Sri Lankan High Commission in your country. However there are some countries exempt from VISA; this can be found from the ETA website.
The VISA applicable for tourists is called a visit visa which can fall into one of the main categories;
- Tourist Visa with double entry for 30 (thirty) days
- Business Visa with double entry for 30 (thirty) days
- Transit up to 02 days Free of Charge basis (Documentary proof needed)
The tourist VISA can be renewed and extended up to 2 months beyond the current 30 days; on approval.
ETA application can be submitted to the website, using one of the following options;
- By the applicant
- By Third party
- At Visitor service Centre
- At Sri Lanka Overseas Missions
- At the head office of the Department of Immigration and Emigration (DI&E), Colombo
- On arrival at the port of entry in Sri Lanka
Visit the Sri Lankan ETA website for more information: http://www.eta.gov.lk